70th Wilson Trophy
The 70th Wilson Trophy dates are 10th to 12th May 2019.
There will be three full days of racing and some extra party time to celebrate another landmark, and we are all looking forward to a fantastic festival of team racing.
The Notice of Race and entry details will be published early in November.
Day 2 of the 69th Wilson Trophy
Incredible sunshine, perfect breeze, spectacular sailing!
Finals day of the 69th Wilson Trophy
The top teams battle for the ultimate team racing prize!
We look back through the history of this unique sailing event. The Wilson Trophy at West Kirby Sailing club first ran in 1949, to this day the event remains the world’s greatest team racing trophy.
Small trophy, big dreams, astonishing weekending since 1949.
Wilson Trophy Format
The competitors know what the Wilson Trophy is, but as an international event that is free to watch by everyone, here is a quick overview of how it works:
- 32 teams
- 6 sailors in each team
- Each team has 3 identical boats, that race another team in 3 boats (blue vs pink, black vs white etc)
- Scoring is 1st = 1 pt, 2nd = 2 pts, 3rd = 3 pts etc. To win a team needs 10 or less points in any combination ie, 1st, 2nd & 3rd or 1st, 3rd, 4th are winning combinations.
- Teams work together using the rules to their advantage, using a combination of boat speed, knowledge of the rules and skilful manoeuvring to get the best positions on the track.
- Umpires follow the sailors providing instant rulings on any infringements. If a boat is judged to have fouled they must complete a penalty turn before continuing the race.
- We use a swiss league format with the top 8 teams advancing to knockout rounds until a winner is decided on Sunday afternoon right in front of the grandstand!
Right Hand ‘S’ Shape course
Each race lasts roughly 6 minutes, races are started every 3 minutes ensuring nearly 300 races are completed during the event.